Sunday, June 2, 2013

Flamin' Groovies - "Shake Some Action" (LP, Philips - 1976 ~ French original pressing)

You know, taking breaks from something you REALLY love, doesn't mean necessarily you won't be interested anymore. Something like this, happened to both of us here at WTS the previous months. I've started a new blog the previous year exclusively dedicated to my fave basketball team and as the games were getting tougher and the attention on this bigger, I naturally turned my head more into it (the back to back European Championship title didn't help things either but you know, I'm not complaining at all!). Same thing for JP. He had found a place (a 'sonic-masonic temple' in fact as I like to call it, I'm teasing you bro, he-he!) to share his knowledge and passion on all things technical that I'm not able to understand and get right and as a result of all these was more or less, this site to have fewer posts as it used to had...
But we're back! We sit our lazy ass down once again for a double shot of WAX love and some mo' cool things for your listening pleasure, starting with this!
Perfect timing's everything in life, right?! I had in my mind to 'reply' to my friend Gyro and his great recent  Flamin' Groovies posts on Twilight Zone with something 'rare', but JP and without knowing it gave me something even better! A European (French) pressing of the 'Shake Some Action' masterpiece!! "Big deal" some might say, "who needs another SSA post"? Well, everyone! As my buddy mailed me:

This French pressing sounds different from the US or Canada LP I've heard (and also different from CD). They are quite muddy. Not as bad as LAMF UK, but too much bass and not much highs.The French version solves this issue.

Boom! The basterd was right once again!! I've had it in two supposedly different CD versions previously (mind you, the one a Jap) and never ( I mean, NEVER!) heard before this POP jewel sounding SOOOOO good and fresh! I was totally aware of the good job Philips did back then with the single (who handled Sire releases in Europe and picked mysteriously on the amazing Capitol 'version 2' take for the single - a BRILLIANT MOVE!) but not for the long play!!! Do I need to say more?

PS: Stay tuned and check constantly for re-ups...


32 comments:

  1. Ripped and uploaded by Jean Philippe

    FLAC http://netkups.com/?d=81c25cf57d1e7
    (320kbps) mp3 http://netkups.com/?d=ac7d9d9ae51d8

    Special note: The FLACs are HiRes 24bit/96kHz, not CD standard (16bit/44.1kHz)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly look forward to this version.I have the original UK LP and a UK CD reissue.Both sound atrocious.I always thought ... what was Dave Edmunds doing at the mixing board?

    Thanks!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT stuff!!! My fav Groovies lp in a real cool vinyl rip, it's a dreams come true. Tanx!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! And lossless! *blessings!*

    ReplyDelete
  5. At the risk of sounding a bit dim, where do I find the password for the FLAC files?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lookin' good! However, I'm being prompted for a password. Am I missing something up there??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry guys, pass is jpstooges. JP had probably gave me the protected file by mistake... As you know, no passwords at White Trash Soul so far...

    ReplyDelete
  8. As usual: just perfect! Thank you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you very much, downloading now!!
    -MLP

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bought this same vinyl back in 1978 & it was stolen in 1984... great to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been a big fan of this album since it came out, and a fan of everything Groovies. The overly bassy sound on this album has always bugged me though. This is much, much better! Thanks so much for this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really excellent.. You're right, it IS much brighter sounding too. Please keep the 24-96 rips a coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, one last thing.. Your Thunders tunes were excellent as well. Another nugget that's worth tracking down is the original LP mix of Teenage Head's debut album. A LOT different that the repress and CD versions and much more rockin' - WAY louder guitars.. Keep up the great site!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't open this and it's not asking for a password. Any suggestions? Thanks for your great site! The Stooges and LAMF are EXCELLENT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't open this and not asking for the password anywhere. Thanks So Much for your great music!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting - the French vinyl pressing was the first SSA release. It appeared a few months before the UK/US versions. When the UK version came out, the sound on the French pressing was considered inferior to the UK release. As a consequence SSA was reviewed twice by Jonh Ingham in "Sounds" (UK rock)magazine. Jonh had originally given SSA only a 2 star review (17 April 1976) which was then upgraded to 3 stars when he reviewed the UK pressing (3 July 1976)-the sound on the French pressing(from memory) was described as "weak". The French album cover was definitely better than the UK version as it was laminated. For a time I used to keep my copy of the UK pressing in the French cover!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Downloaded 24bit Flac but jpstooges or jpstooges. is not password for rar file. HELP!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. jpstooges. aint pword for 2496flacs. Managed to get get 320mp3s and many thanks for that but love to here the flacs as i have several audio interfaces that will do them justice. Thanks for top tunes pete.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "file not found" :-(

    ReplyDelete
  20. Re-upped!!! No password, act quickly: http://netkups.com/?d=6450b28e4254d

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for this jewel! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  22. too late, too slow.

    another re-up??

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pls pls pls re-up, my man....

    ReplyDelete